Sunday 1 May 2011

Instant Reaction - The Dreamers

The Dreamers is a Bernardo Bertolucci film (his most recent) which I finished watching about 30 minutes ago. I gave myself little time, so I only have a fairly face-value view of the film. I also, have only seen one other Bertolucci film (The Conformist) which I thoroughly enjoyed when I watched it around a year ago. The film tells of a incestuous french brother and sister who, upon befriending an American student, lure him into their all too appealing love nest and their fairly odd - to say the least - lifestyle.
The Dreamers shows signs of being related to The Conformist in style, which is expected when comparing two films by a very prolific and stylish director. More important than that, for me,  were the themes of the film. These ranged from culture (something found to be "material" but is worshiped) to revolution/ideologies (which seemed to be thrown away far too easily). Two themes mirrored in the 2004 film The Edukators. The difference being the idea of revolution plays a bigger part than that of "Free Love" (which is also an important concept in The Dreamers). Having said all that I believe both are fantastic films in their own right, even if Hans Waingartner did find inspiration in Bertolucci's work.
The film is carried by Michael Pitt and Louis Garrel. Pitt's performance is amazing, and comfortable, in what must have been terribly uncomfortable scenes. Garrel's portrayal of the pretentious student is well noted and then in the body of the piece, his slightly jealous, slightly unbalanced brother is fantastic.
Overall, the film didn't make as much of a hit at me as The Edukators, but it said what it needed to say in a more coherent manner, and the production value was through the roof, in comparison. It feels as if both should have been made as one, because what lacks in one, is made up in the other ten-fold. I'll leave you with the trailer for The Dreamers, a film I would recommend:

No comments:

Post a Comment